Pages

Sunday, April 24, 2011

C'mon, GIVE IT TO ME!

We have had an exceptionally rainy, HAILY spring here in ole St. Louis.

With more rain in the forecast, and for the 4th day in a row, I just looked at Mark and said, "Now, come on! Can't we have just a LITTLE more rain! After all, what we need is more rain! All the plants I put unto the ground this spring aren't beat to hell yet by the hail! Let' have one more go-round to see if we can't take them out, too!"

Three years ago, I was bicycling my weekly 100 mile Century ride between South St. Louis City and Grafton, IL, and I got caught in a severe downpour, with no shelter within miles. Not one building. Not a single tree. Actually, I was on the levee, which is elevated, and this levee is elevated for 10 miles - out in the middle of nowhere.

I will, however, bicycle in a rain storm (no lightning or hail, please!), before I bicycle in the wind. The rain can't stop me - the wind will stop me dead in my tracks, and fight every turn of my pedals.

My bicycle is a 2007 REI Novara Randonee with a BOB Trailer w/ yellow Yak Sack, Aerobars, a $500 iBike cyclometer, and front and back Ortleib Bags - a $6,000 bicycle rig. My stuff does not get wet in those bags - they're waterproof. I, on the other hand, had water pouring off me in such a stream that I had waves going down my rib cage. Honestly!

At one point during that ride, I jumped off my bicycle (while still on the trail, on top of the levee!), threw my hands in the air and said (to God):

"Is that all you've got? I mean - C'mon! Isn't there just a little more up there? C'mon, I know you can do it! Give it to me!"

I was pissed! I jumped my drenched ass back on that bicycle, and pedaled with a vengeance all the way home. When I was a block - ONE BLOCK out of 100 miles from home, it stopped raining! It was at that point that I had to cuss a little more.

- Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment