Pages

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Some people get all crazy about Daylilies!

(The Daylilies were just the catalyst that started the chemical reaction!  This blog is not really all about Daylilies!)

One of my many famous segways:

Catalyst = Unlike other reagents that participate in a chemical reaction, a catalyst is a chemical or substance that itself is not consumed or changed by the reaction itself.

Do you remember the men's cologne, "Catalyst", produced by the Halston company?  This cologne was offered in two different sized containers, and each had a chemically-related bottle:


The 'Test Tube' bottle

The Beaker bottle

I would have to take another sniff to see if I still enjoy this fragrance as much as I did when it was first introduced several years ago, but I'm pretty sure I would enjoy it now as much as I did back then.

At any rate, the entire idea behind this fragrance is that "the fragrance causes a chemical reaction between two people - the person wearing it, and the person who smells it on the wearer, but during the chemical reaction between the two people, the cologne, itself is not changed", thus the underlying chemical symbolism that is associated with this cologne.

ANYWHO...back to the lilies, the daylilies being the catalyst that caused the reaction between within myself due to the actions of a woman that was walking through the Missouri Botanical Garden.  I did not stop and talk to her, but a part of me wishes I would have done so.   The other 90% of me says, "Do you really think she would have understood what you were talking about?  No!"  Dr. Phil says that 95% of us are completely unaware of our daily actions and thoughts, and how they effect us and those around us.  He would be correct, of course.

This is a picture of a burgundy / red daylily that I took a few years ago at the Missouri Botanical Gardens:




More information and more pics of the daylily, in general:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylily


The story continues.....

Not long before this lady passed me, I entered the Missouri Botanical Gardens via the Ridgeway Visitor's Center, stopped to admire the “American City: St. Louis Architecture" exhibit in the upstairs gallery area before exiting to the Garden.  During the entire growing season, I will stop by the Gardens at least once or twice a week - usually twice.  Because I go so often, I don't usually go through the entire Garden with each visit.  During one spring visit, I might  go just to see the Iris Garden and later in their blooming, the Peony Garden at the same time.  As another example, during an early summer trip (now!), the Asiatic Lilies are in full bloom in the Bulb Garden, and the Bottlebrush Buckeye (Aesculus parviflora), is in it's peak bloom.  I have many 'favorite' plants, and I will see absolutely everything bloom in the gardens each season. I don't miss a thing!  My current 'favorite' is aforementioned Bottlebrush Buckeyethat resides in a large grove just opposite the enclosed Climatron Tropical Rain forest.  This plant rises above the forested floor in an almost mystical fashion, with it's multitude of long white 'bottlebrush' flowers pointing skyward.   Each summer, when I get to this area of the Garden, several times I will walk back and forth down the walkway that cuts through the center of this grove, making sure that I am in the present - in the 'here and now', and that I am taking it all in.  I have taught myself the importance of slowing life down for a moment, and enjoying the very second of time that I am experiencing at that particular time.  I do not let outside thoughts of any kind bother me.  Living in the "here and now" as much as possible is an important part of keeping yourself centered, and I certainly recommend it to everyone!

Bottlebrush Buckeye (Aesculus parviflora)
The gentle, sweet smell of this plant is almost intoxicating!


(I can see the bothersome lady in the distance!)

I entered the Ottoman Garden
(http://www.mobot.org/press/Assets/FP/ottoman.asp), with the sole purpose of smelling the Arabian Jasmine, making certain that I enjoyed the rest of this sheltered Turkish-inspired respite before I continued my journey.

This is a link to a photo gallery of the Ottoman Garden on Flickr.com:
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Ottoman+Garden&f=hp
I passed through a small section of the Gardens that is reserved for plants (and water features) that allow the blind to explore their environment.  There are strongly scented plants, such as, but not limited to, mints, sage, rosemary, scented geraniums, artemesia, and many other highly textured and scented plants - things to explore with the hands and the nose, and they are not limited to viewing with the eyes. 

Next, I passed the now-stark Iris Gardens.  Just a month ago, these beautiful flowers had a great showing, and 'exited stage left', awaiting their curtain call next year.

Then.,..oh, then.... I approach the
Jenkins Daylily Garden.  I will make it an absolute point not to walk quickly through the Botanical Gardens. To do so is such a waste of life!  I was soaking in as much as nature would throw my way when an older lady (older than me, anyway - and that makes you 'older!') walked briskly past me with a male companion of her own age. 

If you would take one gander in my general direction, you can easily determine that I am not 'normal' by any standards.  Some of that 'not-so-normalness' is intentional, and the rest was handed to me through genetics.  I will be the last person that you would suspect would  judge **ANYONE** based solely on their outward appearance.

(Since I hate the word "But...", because it means, "Forget what I just said, THIS is what I really mean!!!", I will use the word "However..." instead. )

HOWEVER.....

If a very thuggish person walks in my general direction on the busy streets of downtown St. Louis, his eyes are darting about wildly, he is 'talkin' smack', or showing other signs of outward aggression, you can very well bet whatever is valuable to you, and you feel like losing that I will apply all that I have just learned in order to guard / protect myself:

1) This person LOOKS like a thug.
2) This person is not acting friendly **AT ALL** (Taking smack, and not using proper English while doing so!)
3) This person's body language is telling on him.  (Aggressive stance, etc)

I'm not saying that you should throw a punch in his direction, or quickly cross the street before he reaches you.  I would not recommend nor imply such a thing.  I would, however, implore you hide all outward signs of doing so, but you should be on your highest level of alert.  To NOT do so might mean waking up your dentist in the middle of the night to put your teeth back in your head, and calling your bank immediately to report a stolen credit card because you have just been mugged and robbed!

The moral of this sub-story:
If the person's actions fit the look, your judgment is on-par, and you need to do whatever action necessary for self preservation.  If, however, the person's actions do NOT fit the look, any and all previous assumptions are null and void. 

The fast-walkin' lady:  Please keep in mind that I live in the middle of Ladue, MO, which is the highest income per capita zip code in the state of Missouri.  Ladue is an area of St. Louis, MO.  This lady had the hair that was cut severely  straight across at her neck-line.  She was wearing a typical Polo-style, short sleeve, "Golf Green" shirt, and khaki colored pleated shorts that went almost to the knee.  White tennis shoes / white Bobby socks and a white sun visor completes the look.  You know that look, I know you do.

The actions:  If her nose was any higher in the air, and we had one of those regular, sudden St. Louis downpours, she would have become a self-induced drowning victim.

As I continue, please do not fail to misinterpret of misunderstand me.  Sauce for the Goose is as good as sauce for the Gander!  There is a HUGE difference between "Snoot" and "Refinement".  Molly Brown's character (of Titanic and Hannibal, MO fame) had both money and refinement, but was in no way snooty.  The sauce for the gander would be that it is OK for you to live in a small town, or in the country, but you shouldn't necessarily act like it!  "Refinement", not 'snoot' nor "Hoose" (Hoosier!) is in order.  As much of an extreme person as I am, I do believe in a lot of "in the middle of the road" philosophies". I guess that would be the touch of Catholic in me.  When it comes to drawing the line somewhere between "Snoot" and "Hoosier", it is best, in the opinion of this writer, to draw the line at "Refinement".  That allows you to act with some sophistication, yet you are very much a human that will not irritate others.

This 'wonderful' lady that probably lives just blocks from me walked past me - and the Daylilies - and said:

"Some people get 'all excited' over Daylilies. I just don't 'get it'!" 
There is no possible way, dear reader, that I can convey to you how incredibly strong the urge was that crossed over me to reach across the walkway, rip off her over-puffed lips, and beat her with them!

I wanted to grab her by that turkey neck, slam her against a tree and say, "Yes, indeed!  Some people **DO** get 'all excited' over Daylilies!  That is why this Daylily garden has a name -
the Jenkins Daylily Garden -  and is run by the Daylily society.  For your much needed information, there is also a local Cactus Society, Herb Society, several Iris Societies, and many, many more dedicated plant groups!"

I would continue:

"These daylilies, in some form or other, have been on this Earth hundreds of thousands - or millions! - of years, and they might very well be around for at least that much more time.   You, 'dear lady', have been around a very long 64 years, but hopefully, not much longer!  THESE plants have served several purposes on this planet, which include, but are not limited to both decorative functions, a natural source for insects and animals, and has a major culinary use in Asian (Chinese) food!  What have YOU done to benefit the planet?"

I haven't even covered the spiritual transgressions that this woman committed.

Even before I knew a name was connected to my thoughts and beliefs, I have always been strongly against wasting anything, which includes, but is not limited to, plants, animals, money, materials, time....
I have since learned that it is a Hindu AND Buddhist belief that we need to honor and respect nature in every aspect, and the good deeds and hard work / attention to detail and artistic talents of human beings.

Do you remember this famous scene from "The Color Purple"?:

Shug: More than anything God love admiration.
Celie: You saying God is vain?
Shug: No, not vain, just wanting to share a good thing. I think it pisses God off when you walk by the colour purple in a field and don't notice it.
Celie: You saying it just wanna be loved like it say in the bible?
Shug: Yeah, Celie. Everything wanna be loved. Us sing and dance, and holla just wanting to be loved. Look at them trees. Notice how the trees do everything people do to get attention... except walk?
[they laugh]
Shug: Oh Miss Celie, I feels like singing!


Hear, Hear!

That is my point, entirely, and summed up better than I could ever do so. 

When I worked on the Flower Market (LaSalle St, St. Louis) for 5 years, there wasn't ONE flower petal that I would sweep up at the end of a work day that I didn't notice and honor it's existence.  If a bunch of flowers 'went bad' before they were sold (and they often did - hundreds of bunches at a time!), I mourned the fact that the energy that these flowers put forth to be all they could be was wasted before they had a chance to shine as brightly as they were intended. 

Later, I have come to learn that the Buddhist and Hindus share similar beliefs, and have done so for thousands of years before the birth of Christ (incidentally).

While I am in that area, I know many wholesale florists who "hate to use Carnations" or "hate to use Daisys."  People, you might want to review the small book that I just wrote (above).  It applies to you, too!

I am not alone (and I wouldn't care if I was!) in my belief that is is, indeed, a very dangerous place to tread when belittling, degrading or disrespecting ANYTHING that nature has put forth, and
the good deeds, hard work / attention to detail and artistic talents of your fellow human beings.

The punishment that people that do these actions will receive is immediate:  They have to live with themselves, and even though they probably are not aware of it, that is punishment enough!

I forgot one aspect of describing the woman in this assorted story. 

I'm sure we all know these people. I know at least 3 - 4, myself.  Do you know someone who has 'come into money' that was not of their own doing?  In other words, they inherited it from a distant source, 'married into money', etc, but the original fortune was not made in any fashion by themselves. These people are the WORSE case scenario "Snoots".  There is also a special place in Hell, by the way, for those who fail to show gratitude. 

Why didn't "Failing to show gratitude" (for nature, and anything else!) show up in the "10 Commandments", or at least the "Sub-Seven" - the 'Seven Deadly Sins'?  But then again, I know a LOT of people who are guilty of:

 - and they believe they have gotten "Get Out Of Jail Free" passes.

Incidentally, 'Acedia' is defined as:

"A state of listlessness or torpor, of not caring or not being concerned with one's position or condition in the world."

Shouldn't there also be a category for those who think a Daylily is a 'little, lowly, unworthy' flower, and  they, themselves, occupy a much larger, (falsely) more important place on the planet?

As the phrase goes, "Just Curio (Just curious!)"

- Michael


I mentioned Molly Brown previously.  More information:


*Molly Brown never new that name. Her birth name was Margaret Brown, and was given the name "Molly" posthumously, and for stage purposes.  She was dead 20 years before the name "Molly Brown" came into existence.


*The Wizard of Oz
L. Frank Baum, the writer of The Wizard of Oz. was also dead 20 years before the movie was produced.  He died in 1919, and the movie made it's debut in 1939.  One fact that unfortunately feeds the fallacy that he was alive during the time of the movie is the fact that he is buried in Hollywood, as one of the first few people that is buried in the cemetery, yet he had no connection directly to the movie industry. 


*Mark Twain
His entire immediate family - father, mother, siblings, and others, are buried in Mt. Olivet Cemetery, the same cemetery as my grandmother. Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens), himself, his wife and children are all buried in Elmira, New York, and not in Hannibal with the remainder of his own immediate family. However, the characters for The Widow Douglas and Injun Joe are also buried in Mt. Olivet Cemetery, Hannibal - and the woman that Becky Thatcher was based on (Tom Sawyer's girlfriend in his books) , real name: Laura Hawkins Frazer, never left the Hannibal area her entire lifetime, and is buried in Big Creek Cemetery, in Rensselaer, MO, which is just 13 miles from downtown Hannibal, MO.

* "The Entertainer", Scott Joplin and the movie, "The Sting":
Scott Joplin's song, "The Entertainer" was written in 1902. Mr. Joplin passed away in 1939, and the movie "The Sting" debuted in 1973.  That song was written 71 years before the movie was produced, and The Entertainer made a splash in the entertainment world long before "The Sting" was just a thought in writer David S. Ward's mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment