Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Today's Little Bitter Pills.....

1) Today, I find out that I am eligible for Medicare, Parts A & B.  That pill is a bit bitter for several reasons:

a) I am 42 yrs. old, and eligible for Medicare!

b) I can 'opt out', or decline Medicare at this time, if I don't need the assistance.  If / When I do decided to enroll, I am penalized 10% of the monthly payment for 12 months for every year I opt out. In other words, they are going to get my money, one way or the other. 

     Why is it that, in this country, we are penalized for being healthy?  I would think that the opposite should be true.  For example, every year that we opt out of Medicare, and do not use the government's money for our healthcare, we should be rewarded with a discount per month for the number of years that we chose to opt out.  Only in America are we penalized for being healthy!

2) It is no secret to those around me that I love vintage instruments, and especially vintage keyboard instruments.

Why I chose to look on eBay for Wurlitzer Electric pianos, when I already own one, I will never know.

Be careful what you look for - you might find it!  My little search turned up a classic Wurlitzer 200, the "archtype", and much sought after stage version of the Wurlitzer electric piano:



The current bids are only $510.  Not a bad price, considering that these instruments often sell for $1,200 - $1,500.  "What seems to be the problem?", you ask?  How can a good deal on something I have been seeking be a bad thing?  Let me sweeten the pot:  I was hoping this electric piano would be in California or New York, and the combined cost of the piano + shipping would be higher than I would be willing to pay.  The damned thing is in St. Louis - right down the street from me! I wouldn't have to pay shipping charges *at all*, and that would save me $95.  The other problem is that this auction ends in 5 hours, and it takes 3 business days for me to transfer the money from my bank account to my PayPal account!  In summary $500 is a GREAT price, and the item doesn't have to be shipped, but I don't have enough time to put the $500 in my PayPal account to pay for it...so... (Said like the Soup Nazi from Sienfeld).....  "No piano for you!"

So...I guess I am sitting on the Bitter Bus, drinking 'HaterAide!"

- Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment