Pages

Thursday, September 23, 2010

On the use of GPS and technology, in general

Some folks only call me when they want something (does it say "Rand McNally across my forehead, or "Encyclopedia Britannica" across my back?), the only direction I would give them is to the nearest Wal-Mart, Target or Best Buy to BUY themselves a GPS.  They will get you anywhere you want to go on this planet, and are amazingly accurate.  The only reason I can think of that would prevent someone from using a piece of technology that was created to make our lives EASIER is self-induced stupidity.


I paid $423 four years ago for my GPS.  While my particular unit was the best available at the time for the money spent (brand name: Harmon / Kardon),  a unit that is TWICE as powerful as the one I carry can now be purchased at Target for as little as $79.  The prices at Target, for example range from $79 - $259.  Check them out:



When it comes to GPS', or any other type of technology (computers, etc), you don't want to spend $$ on features you will never use, but at the same time, you need to buy as much at the time as you can for your money.  I would recommend buying the most expensive GPS that has the most features.  Doing so will insure that it will probably be the last to be outdated, and it will give you more years of service than a cheap unit that will suffice, but is barely adequate.  I would rather spend more $$, and have something for YEARS than spend less money, and have to buy a new one every year. For example, Mark has had **4** MP3 players in the past 3 years.  I have the same MP3 player that I bought 5 years ago for $169.


Another perk:  Once you pay the initial price for the GPS device, the service is ABSOLUTELY FREE!  Unlike the GPS on your cell phone, with a hand-held dedicated GPS device, there is no signing up, no signing in- no nothing!  Just plug it in, in your car - and GO! 


The moral of this sage:  There are many, many times that technology can cripple us or make life more difficult.  Computers and technology were created to make our lives EASIER, so why not use it for it's good  attributes?  I have the latest software-based musical instruments (solely on the computer, but they use digital keyboards to control them).  I can make virtually any sound on the planet with these virtual instruments.  On the other hand, I have a hand-pumped Indian reed organ (Harmonium), an 1888 Reed organ, an accordion, two vintage (1960's) Hammond organ with 1960's Leslie speakers, and I still knit by hand.   Between 2 people, we have 4 desk top computers, and one lap top. 


Considering the fact that I do not often spend full days out of the house, our cell phone service is basic cell phone service. I pay $68 / month for 2 phones, and no other carrier can beat that price yet.  I do not have a data or smart phone yet.  I refuse to pay +$130 a month PER PHONE to use a GPS on the phone and have a computer in a hand.  I have my cell phone, my hand-held GPS, and my laptop computer that goes with me when I travel.  If and when the phone service and Data packages drop down to $68 / month, I will have one of those phones, too - but not until they do.


You've heard the tune, "Make new friends, but keep the old.  One is silver, and the other is gold."  I believe that is a good balance in life.  We should use a judicial mind set when examining new technology. EVERYTHING new isn't always good for you, or is necessary.  The same thing goes for "old stuff".  Old stuff should not be all thrown out in the trash, nor should we embrace only "old school" technology.  It is a combination of old, current and new / future technology and thought processed that will allow us to continue life with a **HEALTHY** balance.  To do otherwise in any area of your life will most assuredly guarantee that you will be noticeably unbalanced, which will definitely effect your lives, and unfortunately, those around you.



- Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment