Pages

Monday, October 4, 2010

What's for Lunch? The trials and tribulations of a true FOODIE! (and Taste of St. Louis)

What's for lunch today?  I never thought you would ask!  Today, I'm having Punjabi Kadhi Pakora (Bengal gram flour dumplings with spinach in yogurt gravy!) - over a Indian-inspired seasoned rice!  You can always make it from scratch, but in lieu of that, you can purchase these meals at an local International Market, or locally (St. Louis) at Schnuck's grocery stores in the International isle.   I make instant rice and add some Indian seasonings to the rice while the food is heating up in the microwave.  Time spent to prepare an adventuresome and GREAT lunch:  5 minutes!  It now comes to my attention that I never add curry powder to any of the Indian dishes that I make at home.  Many people think that all Indian Food is curry-based.  Those people are probably so inclined to believe that all Mexican food is tacos, and Germans eat nothing but wienerschnitzel.

The major problem with being diversified in taste, in general, are the CHOICES!  I will be the first person to bitch if I don't have enough choices, but having too many choices causes a lot of debate between Mark and myself.  If I had to choose, I would rather have too many than not enough choices.  Without going into details, "Not Enough" produces some hideous people, let me tell you!


I went to the Taste of St. Louis yesterday (10/4/10, which will become yet another yearly tradition in our house.  I parked my truck 3 miles from my house, at the Brentwood Metrolink terminal, and paid $4.50 for a round trip ticket on the train.  Taking public transportation will remove ALL parking hassles!   The only problem I had with the Metrolink system on this particular day was that there were 3 major events going on in the downtown St. Louis area at the exact time: A St. Louis Rams game, a St. Louis Cardinals game, and the Taste of St. Louis.  That does not take into consideration the normal daily riders on the system.  The train wasn't at all crowded on the way in, but on the way back, I took one look at a West-bound train, and they were packed in like sardines!  When the train stopped at the depot that I wanted to board (St. Louis Union Station), there honestly wasn't room enough for one person to board when they opened the doors!  I am 'just metro enough' to have that problem figured out!  I took the next train EAST, instead of West, as I normally would have.  I rode the east-bound train *past* the 8th & Pine and the Convention Center depots, where 99% of this huge post-game crowd was boarding the train.  I exited the train at the Laclede's Landing depot, and simply stepped across the boarding area to take the next Blue Line West-Bound train, as I originally should have.  What is the benefit in going the wrong direction first?  I got on a practically empty west bound train.  Within TWO stops, there were probably 300 people packed on my train!  Thankfully, most of them exited the train at stops before my own, and I could easily make my way to the door when my stop approached.  I quickly counted at least 100 people getting of the train at my stop!
 
BACK TO THE FOOD:
There were 45 separate restaurants set up on Market Street in the downtown area.  There was a large area set up as a Kids area with their own large stage, a petting zoo, and several other activities.  One block was an Art / Wine walk, featuring probably 20 artists.  There were 3 main stages for entertainment.  The entertainment featured a range of talent, from Nikko Smith to Sister Hazel to rockabilly, country, Jazz, Gospel and cover bands.

 My friends from Hank's Cheesecakes were representing themselves at the Taste of St. Louis, we were many, many of my favorite restaurants.  I had a glass of beer (not my favorite drink in the world, but it will do in a pinch!), and I walked between the stages, listening to the music, and I walked around the area several times before making the difficult decision of  "What's for lunch?"  


Lo and behold!  I discovered yet one more Indian restaurant in the area that was not on my list!  I talked to the owners, and they said that this particular restaurant was in the area only a year.  Their food was LOVELY!  It was **hot** (spicy), and had their own distinct flavor.  I can't express to you how thankful I am for that hot, spicy food!    When we went to the Indian restaurant on Page Blvd, I talked with the owner for a few minutes.  She said that she originally decided to turn down the spices a bit in her particular restaurant to make her food more acceptable to more Americans.  I thought I was going to hit the floor!  BUT...she quickly redeemed herself by saying that many of her regular customers complained that the food was not what they were expecting.  SO....She turned the volume back up on the spices, and her clientele has never been better.  I leaned over and whispered to her, "If I wanted a fricken Hamburger, I would go to Wendy's restaurant just a couple blocks down the street!  When I want pizazz, I come HERE!"  She told me that I wasn't alone in my sentiments!..  

I told the owner of that restaurant that I am not entirely peeved with boring American food.  We must consider Sweetie Pie's Restaurants in St. Louis.  The woman that owns these restaurants was an Ikette- a back-up singer for Ike and Tina Turner.  She has been featured a few times on The Food Network, and is famous for her baked Mac & Cheese.  I am here to tell you that I have never, EVER tasted Mac & Cheese like that, nor have I ever had a better fried Catfish - or better service from her staff.  If I want good old Southern Home cooking, I will head to Sweetie Pie's.....  If I want International foods, we have a lot of variety here, as well, but I am extremely comfortable in an Indian restaurant.  Indian food is 'International Comfort Food" for my little family!


(more food and international blogs will follow).....


- Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment