Pages

Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Hare Krishnas are keeping me fed! (The Indians & Me!)

In accordance to one of their core beliefs (you are doing good by feeding others), the Hare Krishnas have provided me with a fabulous lunch. They often bring food to the flower market, and Mark and I share it for supper. Last night, we had something different for supper, and he gave it to me today for my lunch.  
(It is basically 100% vegetarian Indian food, and we all know about my addiction to those Indians! :)

Some recipes and general info:


http://harekrsna.com/practice/
prasadam/recipes/recipes.htm
I love restaurant Indian food, but when I get home cooked Indian meals, the taste is turned up a couple notches. They are cooking for individuals, rather than a general American group, and they will cook and flavor the food as they would eat it, rather than "bland-ur-lize" it for the weak, American public.

You should see the shocked looks on their faces when I go to a festival or a bazaar, and I order food, and they tell me, "just a minute", and start to "Americanize" it for me. I stop them with, "Wait a minute...I want what YOU are eating, and as YOU eat it. If I wanted McDonalds, I would stop by there on the way home!" It takes them a second or two to switch gears, and to realize that I am different than how they are accustomed to serving the food to our public. THEN... I get a surprised, pleasant smile, an acknowledging nob, and and the food served to me the way it was originally intended.

I have an Indian friend (Prathibah Vasudevan - CALL ME!), and she had been in this country 12 years, but eats only Indian food. When I go over to her house, I can't hug her, because in her customs, hugging is reserved for small children or OLD people. Just for shits 'n' grins, as a joke (I'm telling her that she is getting old!), I sometimes chase her around the yard, with my arms outstretched yelling, "Come on, give MOMMA a hug!" While I am chasing her, she is trying desperately to outrun me. Then she beats up on me a little - to ensure that I am properly punished. he he he

However, hospitality is also a big part of her culture, and that includes cooking small, quick meals for guests. While I will always love restaurant Indian food, Prathibah has taught me the difference between restaurant and home cooked Indian food. I will readily admit that knowing the difference makes me spoiled!

- Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment