Pages

Sunday, October 2, 2011

My little adventure to The Best of Missouri Market and Shaw Art Show

Today, we attended the last major fall events that we frequent on an annual basis.  We went to the Best of Missouri Market at the Missouri Botanical Gardens, and the Shaw Art Fair right across the street.  

To reduce the crowded conditions at the Best of Missouri Market, they extended this event to Friday night, for a "Sneak Preview"

This event is held in 4 huge tents in the Botanical Garden's parking lot, and has extended into the Garden, itself.  In order for an item to be advertised and sold in this market, it must be manufactured in Missouri. 

We sampled everything from a choice of several wines to salsas, dips, and goat cheeses - and Braunschweiger.  Yes, Braunschweiger!  Anybody that knows me well will know that I have hated Braunschweiger all my life.  It's "gaumy" texture and sharp taste would turn my stomach, and as a child, I would much rather go hungry than eat the stuff - and I often chose the "go hungry" route, rather than to choke the stuff down! I mean... C'mon! The texture of the Braunschweiger that is sold in grocery stores is atrocious!

However...   I found the Williams Brothers Meat Market's booth at the Best of Missouri Market.  They were selling Braunschweiger, as well as many other sausages and meats.  When most people have an aversion to a food or a certain taste or texture, there is no way in Hell that they are going to be convinced to try that food.  
 
This is the e-mail that I just sent Williams Brothers Meat Market:

"I am a 43 yr. old man, and before I found your booth at the Best of Missouri Market, I hated braunschweiger to the point that as a child, if that was my only choice offered for lunch, I would choose the "go hungry" option!

There aren't many flavors or particular foods that I don't like to the point where I will out-right refuse the food. I like to think that I am a much more adventuresome person than to have such a narrow mind.  Every so often, I will have another try at it a food or flavor that I may have originally found to be offensive.   I will taste the offending food once again to see if my perception of taste has changed.  I will gladly announce that, based on it's taste and texture, your braunschweiger is the only braunschweiger that I will ever eat in my life! 

Thank you!  "

________________
We also looked at the merchandise produced by jewelers, carpenters and furniture builders, wools and yarns from weavers and knitters, soap makers, and restaurants such as The Blue Owl in Kimmswick, MO.  

The Blue Owl's web site:
http://www.theblueowl.com/

The Blue Owl was featured on Food Network for the Level High Apple Pie several years ago.    For several weeks after this segment was run on Food Network, there was a 2 hour waiting list to get into the Blue Owl restaurant.   We ate at the restaurant about 3 years ago.  Today, we bought "personal size" Pecan Butterscotch Pies:



We also bought 4 bottles of wine and a few pieces of Divinity fudge.

Two of the bottles of wine are from the Stone Hill Winery.  These are from the "Jacquesse" wine family.  We bought the Jacquesse Kickin' Berry and the Jacquesse Kickin' Red wines.

From the St. James Winery, we bought 2 bottles of the 2006 Vignoles (Ozark Mountain Sweet Wine).  The grapes used in making this wine we left on the vine until they were 'almost raisins', producint a much sweeter, concentrated flavor.  They were running a special on this wine.  $5 for a 5 yr. old wine isn't a bad price!
Additional info on this wine:
http://www.stjameswinery.com/pdf/2006_late_harvest_vignoles_flyer.pdf

_________________

I also taste tested Deadly Dick's Peppers - hot peppers, and in particular, the XXX Pretzels.

They were **HOT**, but considering that I went back to the booth 4 times, I loved those hot pretzels.

For more info:
http://www.deadlydickspeppers.com/

_______

There were several fiber artists, featuring their alpaca and llama wools and spun yarns, including 'Alpacas d'Auxvasse".

http://www.alpacasauxvasse.com/

I am a knitter, and the art of turning a natural plant or animal fiber into a yarn, then into a wonderful, beautiful garment or article of clothing has always fascinated me.  The fiber arts are *not* genetically sex-linked, and can be accomplished by either sex, male or female.   Several weavers were in attendance.   Even though weaving is a 'fiber art', it is in a category all of it's own, and the only bind between weaving and knitting is that they both use fibers (yarns, threads, etc).   I would love to learn to weave, but the time and money that I have devoted to my other "ten thousand hobbies" does not allow time, space, or funds for one more hobby!


To date, these are the things that I do on a daily basis:
1) Play piano / organ for 2 - 4 hours.
2) Do an abdominal exercise routine that takes 30 - 45 minutes.
3) Clean house for 4 - 5 hours a day.
4) Care for Conrad, my African Grey parrot, and our 4 dogs.
5) Try to squeeze in time for computer rendering / digital object modeling (1.5 - 2 hrs. a day)
6) Watch Prime Time television with Mark, while knitting from 7:00 - 9:30 PM

Concerning weaving (and getting a new hobby!), and quoting Martha Stewart:
"All I need is one more damned hobby!"  he he he

So - I am going to have to learn to do MORE hobbies vicariously - through watching and appreciating the efforts of others!
In addition to the Best of Missouri Market and Show, we also went to the Shaw Art Fair that is held across the street,  Through years of attending the local art shows, I have grown to know many of the artists on a personal level.

Bruce Holwerda is an artist that is an artist that shows almost every year in the St. Louis art shows (even though he is not from the St. Louis area). I love his work:


For more of his work:
http://store.bruceholwerda.com/

_____________________________

Not considering the fact that we went to Bob Cassilly's (the creator of 'City Museum') memorial service yesterday, we had a great weekend.  

In many ways, Bob was a champion and a shining example in my life.  He was a genius in many realms.  There was two things, however, that he did not know:
1) The word "NO!"
2) The need for a building permit!

This one is a particularly bitter pill to swallow.    I am going to need a lot more time to choke this one down.   In the mean time, please try to be understanding and accommodating, and please excuse me if I get snappy at those who are less talented, less creative, less energetic, have no drive, those that are lazy, filled with piss-poor excuses, and those who do nothing to enrich the world around us!

I love ya'll dearly!

- Michael

- Michael



1 comment:

  1. Glad you finally learned to enjoy Braunschweiger, Michael. Hope to see you next week at the 2012 Best of Missouri Market (10/5 - 10/7. We'll have plenty available for you.

    -Williams Bros

    ReplyDelete