Pages

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Old junk" can work better than "new and improved" !




Go figure.  This is further proof that, more often than not, "Old junk" can work better than "new and improved" !

At the same estate sale that I bought the Farfisa organ, I bought a  Morley Power Wah guitar pedal - for $1.  There was a sign taped to the pedal that read, "Needs Work - $1".   I paid a total of $26 for the Farfisa AND the Morley pedal. I use many effects pedals, including chorus, distortion, tape delay and wah pedals attached to many of my keyboards, from the digital piano to my Wurlitzer piano and now, the Farfisa.


The work that it needed was that the tiny light bulb that is the basis of it's function needed to be replaced.  It isn't economically viable for  electronics companies to sell and ship these tiny bulbs individually.  They are only 22 cents each. 

So.... I went to Walgreens and bought a string of mini Christmas lights.  I pulled a blank metal plug out of a hole in the side of the pedal, and stuck in a couple of the tiny lights.  This pedal now works perfectly - for a total of $6.99!


On the other hand, the guitar pedal that I bought new several years ago only has about 5 minutes of play time on it, because the damned thing doesn't work right.  It never has.  


A rigged 1970's vintage guitar pedal, bought for a total of $7  - works perfectly.
A brand new $70 pedal doesn't work at all. 


Go figure.

- Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment