Pages

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Daddy's Got Sole - but he's running out of heels 'n' toes!

My 'Prison Boy' sandals socks that I knit, inspired by Japanese Tabi socks.

("Prison Boy" comes from the institutional green and prison uniform orange, and from the chain link pattern that I made up that is on the body of the socks.)


COME ON, SPRING!
Even though my socks are lovely and warm, this pair and the sister pair that I made have a finite life span, and that clock is running out!
Granted, I made this particular pair of toed socks in Feb 2012.  I wear either of 2 pair *every time* I leave the house....so... these socks see a lot of wear and tear, and considering that they have seen most of 2 winter seasons, I've pretty much 'darned myself out'.
On this pair, alone, I have replaced both big toes at least once, the 'mitt' part of one sock once, and both orange heels.
Just this morning, I saw a small weak spot starting to form on the bottom of one of the big toes....again.  I can 'shore it up' to get me through, but time-wise, they weren't designed for this prolonged winter crap.
HOWEVER.... 

When I fixed the 'fast fading sole' problem by making an extra garter-stitch pad to sew on the bottoms, and I knit the new bottom pads with white twine and string held together.  Those new soles have worn for 2 winters and haven't worn out yet.

A couple weeks ago, I had to replace the heels.  Once again, I held kitchen twine together with the yarn, and those heels should last for an extended period of time.
Double-knitting the toes and the mitts would make them cumbersome, so I'll have to keep either replacing or patching them up.
COME ON, SPRING!

- Michael


No comments:

Post a Comment