Pages

Thursday, March 14, 2013

"Nice Things:

Recent comment on FaceBook: 

"When you work 2 jobs AND go to school you deserve to reward yourself with nice things, because you have EARNED them, no-one can take that from you!!!"

One response: 

"
 I wish I had that mentality. Nice things tend to make me feel guilty."
The Great George Carlin

MY reaction:

George Carlin said:
"Surround yourself with what you love , whether it’s family, pets, keepsakes, music, plants, hobbies, whatever. Your home is your refuge."

In the immortal words of drag star and world supermodel RuPaul, "Gurl, you don't have to tell me twice!"

I shared this philosophy decades ago, but there ain't nothin' like having the power of one of my favorite people - George Carlin - blowing a hurricane-force wind under my feeble, struggling wings!

(Note:  Just out of curiosity, I just counted the things that George said we should surround ourselves with, and I have 6 of the 7.  Not a bad average, if I do say so myself!)

Good God, I'm glad that I don't have that complex! (Nice things making me feel guilty.) If I did, I would need the entire range of resources from Dr. Freud, Dr. Phil, Oprah Winfrey and Jesus to cure me, because I do, indeed, like "nice things!"

Growing up, the people that share my gene pool tried to tell me that I wasn't worthy of nice things, I had no talent or skills, nor did they instill the value of taking care of one's appearance or possessions.

(Hindsight being 20 / 20, and having a few decades of age on me, I now realize that jealousy and laziness on their part is, indeed, more insidious than any cancer, especially considering the fact that they are jealous of a disabled person. The laziness is another show, entirely.)

I told them to rot in the self-inflicted Hell that they are currently STILL rotting in, and I plodded on, in a *forward* direction.

1) Even though I definitely do not live in a 'Ladue house', I have a Ladue address. I live 8 miles from St. Louis' city center, in the suburb of Ladue, which is the wealthiest zip code per capita in the state of Missouri.

2) I *neva, eva* leave the house looking less than I do in my profile pic.

I don't care about religion or personal beliefs. Nobody has ever come back to tell you 'what it's like on the other side.' This life ain't no dress rehearsal, baby. Live it like it is your last - because it probably is. I have picture proof (and not of myself!) of the fact that "regret" is, indeed, a bitter pill to swallow.

Since we are on the subject of final farwells, this, my friends, is the result of 'liking nice things':

This is the grave of Rudolf Nureyev, a legendary ballet star.  He was an avid collector of beautiful carpets and antique textiles.  His grave features a tomb draped in a mosaic of an oriental carpet.  This 'carpet' is actually an intricate tile-work mosaic, in phenomenally matching colors to a faded 'Oriental' rug.  This, my friends - is HOW YOU DO IT!
 

For other close-up photos of this fantastic monument, click here:
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pv&GRid=4047&PIpi=130208

(Now the question picques my interest:  I wonder which carpet pattern the craftsmen / artists used for this mosiac tile masterpiece?)
- Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment