Pages

Monday, December 20, 2010

A Rare event - the total eclipse of the moon - DON'T MISS IT!



The last time a huge eclipse of the moon happened, I was on my way to work on the flower market in St. Louis.  It must have been during some "floral" holiday, because we had to be at work at 3:30 AM. (Yes, those flower people are freaks!) 

Even though I have never slept later than 9:00 AM in my life, and since I have been disabled for 4 years, I have not slept later than 7:00 AM on any given morning, I do not particularly enjoy being out of bed and at work at 3:30 AM to hurl flowers at ungrateful people.  But, in the words of the immortal Sophia Petrillo, "I Digress!"

Anywho, this was ONE morning that I enjoyed being up at 3:30 AM!  I had just pulled out of my parking space on the way to work (still dark outside, of course), and I drove one block and heard Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of The Moon" come the radio station - K-HITS 96.3 (www.k-hits.com).  I turned the corner, and looked up at the end of the street.  The was a **HUGE** dark red moon, looking as if it was going to swallow the entire earth.  I know I was on my way to work, but those flowers - and the people - can wait. The radio station was cued to play Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of The Moon" album with THIS OARTICULAR SONG starting with the moment the shadow started to creep across the face of the moon, and ended at the exact moment that the moon went out of eclipse! I had to stop and pull my truck over to the side of the street to savor the moment - the right music for the perfect event, before I drove on. I openly wept!

This song, my favorite from the album, was playing when the moon went into total eclipse, and turned deep blood red. This is bar-none, listed as the greatest non-lyrical vocal in rock music and probably ALL of music, as far as that goes:

"Great Gig In the Sky featuring the vocal mastery of Clare Torry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAydj4OJnwQ

Back to the big event:

https://patch.com/missouri/stlouis/see-super-blue-moon-total-eclipse-over-missouri

More information can be found on:
A very useful page, "World Clock and Time Zones" - look around this page, there are a lot of useful time calculators, etc:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

On space.com, the article with complete details:

http://www.space.com/spacewatch/monday-total-lunar-eclipse-moon-preview-101220.html

I don't know if it is an appreciation of beautiful, eerir and scerene things, the Wicca, the Hindu or the Buddhist coming out in me, but for me, these events are religious and awe-inspiring, even if it is just a shadow to you!

- Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment