Pages

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Christmas Eve in Sarajevo - New York ?


This video contains many of the reasons that I wake up each morning: It's magical, mystical, passionate and powerful.

Watch the little girl at 1:26 - 1:30, as she moves in on the conductor's job, to the extent that she even reaches around him to direct the music. I have cried more than a few times - every time, actually - watching her entire body release the passion as she is standing on top of that grand piano, directing music from 2:19 - 2:26. Go Girl! 


Whowouldathunkit? (Me! Me! Me!)

A progressive rock band from New York City (not Siberia!) that combines the voices of an orchestra with a metal rock band? Both Billboard Magazine and Pollstar have ranked them as one of the top ten ticket-selling bands in the first decade of the new millennium.

Throughout the years, many musicians have had the opportunity to play with the Trans Siberian Orchestra. For more information on this New York City-based band:

File:Trans-SiberianOrchestra ChristmasConcert2006.jpg


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_Siberian_Orchestra



I went to my closest Guitar Center yesterday to check to see if there was a deal that I didn't know that I couldn't live without, until I laid eyes on it! They were busy with Black Friday shoppers. I went into the keyboard room, and played Roland's Fantom-G8. At first, I started playing Carol of the Bells (the main theme in "Christmas Eve in Sarajevo") using a light music box sound. As I began playing more rounds of the song, I changed the music box sound into a bigger-than-life 16 ft grand piano sound, and eventually added a screaming electric guitar and a violin with an attitude. After a few rounds, I added the beat.

The Guitar Centers:
(they carry much more than guitars:  Keyboards, drums, amps, etc)
Guitar Center

Their website:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/?source=4WWRWXMT
While I was playing this Fantom-G8, out of the corner of my eye, I could see several people peeking in the door of the music room. I know my arms were stretched straight out in front of me, I never hit a note that wasn't either a full-block chord, or an octave, and my head was going 100 MPH. As Mary J Blige says, "My soul temporarily left the building."

There were several rad-looking salesman lined up watching me. When I wound the phantasmagoria down to a whimper, I picked myself up, dusted myself off, and as I left the keyboard room, I whispered to the line of salesmen, as I passed: "Thank you! I needed that!" At that moment, they all turned into my own personal applause box! I think we were all 'rode hard, and put away wet', but every one of us would admit that a damned good time was had by all! :)

The Roland Fantom-G8:




For more info:

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=918&ParentId=83

And a video:



Finally!  A computer-mouse driven keyboard!  I WANT ONE!

- Michael



No comments:

Post a Comment