Pages

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Michael, The Animal Whisperer

I don't know how I developed this particular skill, but I do know that when I go to Grant's Farm here in STL, there can be over 100 people standing by a fence looking at the Clydesdales in the distance. All their whistling, whoopin' and hollerin' won't bring the horses over to the fence to see the spectators. I gently make my way through the crowd, and give a particular whistle. A stampede ensues! Those Clydesdale colts, who are still HUGE compared to other adult horses, come galloping across that huge pasture, high-spiritedly over to the fence, and in particular, over to me! I don't know why! What gives? Mark and several of his relatives were with me on this visit.

When I go to the St. Louis Zoo, if I am the only person in the 1904 Flight Cage, there is a particular Egret that is fond of me. All birds in this cage are free-roaming, contained only by the large wire frame of the flight cage. I do have this particular event on video. This Egert will fly down to within just a few feet of me. I squat down to his level, and he will jump up and perch on my fore arm, and gently explore my upper quarters with his bill. He was sitting on my arm for probably 15 minutes, before I had to gently persuade him to go on about his way, so I could continue through the Zoo.

If I go into the Bird House, the Toucan will slide down the wires of his enclosure, just to visit me. He ignores everybody else in the bird house.

A similar event happened when I was at the Chimpanzee enclosure. There were several Chimps down near the large observation windows in front of their outside enclosure. This was a nice, busy fall day at the Zoo, and any time a chimp is near the glass, he draws a large crowd instantly. I was standing 2 - 3 people deep from the windows in this crowd when I caught the chimp's eye. He approached the glass, and motioned with his hand for the small children in front to move out of his line of sight. The kids didn't understand him at first, so he again motioned with his hand for them to step to the side. I walked through the part in the crowd that the chimp made for me, and he looked into my eyes for what seemed to be the longest time. Then, he pointed at the plugs in my ears, the choker made of nuts 'n' bolts that I always wear around my neck (visible in my profile pic), and he pointed down at my bright, glittery raspberry shoes. It might be my imagination, but he did seem to smile! Then, he put his knuckles gently against the glass. I put my knuckles, in the same fashion, against my side of the glass, against his knuckles. We paused for a moment as he once again looked deep into my eyes. I know I saw another smile cross his face, and then he scampered off into the distance!

I know I had tears in my eyes, as I turned to the crowd that was standing behind me. Many of them had their hands over their mouths, and their eyes were WIDE with astonishment. I heard a few gasps. I intentionally raised my eyebrows at them, in a "So, there! Take THAT!" sort-of fashion, as I made my way through the crowd. Like Moses and the Red Sea, they automatically parted as I walked on!

Animal Whisperer? I dunno. You tell me. :)

- Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment