Pages

Monday, November 14, 2011

Waiting for the Bus, and Wormwood's Last Hurrah

It is a beautiful November day.  November 14, 2011.  


The time is currently 11:45 AM, and by at least three degrees, the St. Louis area has already exceeded the predicted daily high temperature of 74 degrees.  The temperature is now 77 degrees.  I have seized this opportunity to go outside and clean up the few garden and planting beds that I have around our home.  We had a hard freeze a few days ago that took my Heavenly Blue Morning Glories that was growing thick on our back fence.  I started those seeds indoors earlier in the spring, and these vines decided to wait to bloom until early fall.  I only had a couple months of seeing them in full bloom, but they were beautiful.  That freeze also took Zucchini plants that were still flowering and bearing fruit, and tomato plants, some of which had manage to remain hidden from the squirrels and chipmunks long enough to remain as loaded as possible with flowers and small, green tomatoes.  I will allow no waste.  That is against every fiber of Hindu belief in my body.  I harvested all the small green tomatoes, and I will use them in the vegetables that I eat daily.  


I have also harvested some sprigs of Wormwood (Artemisia), and the French Lavender that did amazingly well this year.   Dried, the sprigs of Artemisia are thin,soft sprigs and they have an earthy, comforting fragrance, which I will not allow to go to waste.  I was surprised to see the beautiful, pastel colors displayed by this plant, as if to give one last "HURRAH!" on it's way out, and in the middle of it's death throws.



(I hate the use of a flash in my photography.  The use of a direct flash is, at best, rude, but it is SOMETIMES an evil necessity that should not be used with any regularity.)

I was pleasantly surprised by the colors this plant exhibited at the dying stage in it's life cycle:  The pastel pinks, yellows, light greens, and ultimately, silver.

In good Hindu fashion, I always thank the plant for it's service, for it's beauty, and for it's sacrifice before I cut it.  I do the same thing with every vegetable I harvest, and for every weed I pull out of my gardens while they are growing.  You have to admit that the tenacity, fortitude, resilience, and the will to survive while combating every means to extricate it are the qualities that a weed possesses that should be admired. If we could only adopt the same values, character and strengths, we should be much better for it.

These unseasonably warm temperatures brings me to an interesting observation.  


Picture it: 

You drive by a bus stop, and see (anyone!) standing there on a day like today.  Even though the calendar clearly states that It is November 13, and that we definitely have had some freezing overnight temperatures, and actual temperature is 77 degrees.  Tonight's low is forecast to be 51 degrees. Chilly - yes.  Cold - no.

I know as sure as I am writing this blog that if there are bus stops in your area, you have passed a bus stop on a day like I have just described, and you have seen more than one person standing there:  Heavy coat on, wearing gloves, and perhaps a stocking cap, or some other type of heavy head protection.  Even upon taking into consideration personal deviations for temperature variances, you will have to admit that wearing HEAVY winter gear on a 77 degree day is over kill.  This is not an unusual or rare phenomenon, dear readers.  I could get in my truck at this very moment, and take a drive through the streets of St. Louis, and I **guarantee** you that, most likely, every bus stop (or shopping mall....grocery store, etc) will contain hot, sweaty folk who have overdressed for today's temperatures.  

Now that you have admitted to yourself that this does, indeed happen, let's examine why they do it.  The reason is simple.  They rationale is this:  The *calendar* says that it is November, so I have to "dress like it is November.  Never mind the fact that it is damned near 80 degrees out there!

Last weekend, Mark and I went to one of our favorite Indian restaurants.  (Yes, another November day!)  The temperature was, once again,  in the 70's.  I was wearing a tank top, shorts, and sandals.  Mark, on the other hand, was wearing a heavy winter coat, long a long sleeved flannel shirt, a pair of heavy jeans, and tennis shoes.   Can you just imagine, if you will, the "sight for sore eyes" that we must have been - sitting at that table?  I was dressed for comfort, and according to the temperature.  He was dressed merely by the calendar.  Then, we got in the car - and he turned the heat on!  He turned it on HIGH!  Why?  "It's November, and we need the heat on!"  I was in full summer garb, and I had to roll my window all the way down.  I thought I was going to suffocate.  Mind you, I LOVE WARM, BALMY temperatures!  I would love to live as close to the equator as possible.  I am very cold-blooded, and would rather life my life being a 'little too warm' rather than 'a little too cold."

Are people really nailed to a calendar so firmly that they can't use the rest of their minds to determine how to live their life as comfortably as possible, and to take full advantage of as many wonderful opportunities (a great, warm day in the middle of November!) as possible?

1) Don't be influenced by others.  You are the one that is living your life.  When it comes time to "do the dying", other people are NOT going to do it for you.  You are going to be "doing the dying" all by yourself.  You should be the one "doing the living", too.  They're not going to be "doing your dying", and they shouldn't be the ones "Doing your living", either.  Don't be afraid to live your own life.  

2) A calendar is just a few pieces of paper. How silly it is to be it's slave!

3) "What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Don't forget to stop and consider the Lilies - AND the dandelions!

4) "I think it pisses God off if you walk by the color purple in a field somewhere and don’t notice it." -
by Alice Walker
from The Color Purple, 1982

From Michael:
"I think it pisses God off when you don't consider other blessings in your world, and when you overdress on a 70+ degree day!  You were given a rare day with good temperatures, and you fight it!  I think that pisses God off!"

Now, if you will excuse me, I am going back outside to finish my yard work.  I am wearing no shirt, no shoes, and a pair of shorts... in November.  Thank you, God.... Thank you, Ganesha!

- Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment