Pages

Friday, June 29, 2012

Help! Help! Should I call 911?

File:Albino peacock.jpg

My Ex's parents had albino peacocks on their property.

The KATY Trail is a rails-to-trails project in Missouri that passes many farms and country homes, but on one side of this trail is an occasional deep ravine. A few years ago, when I bicycled the entire length of the KATY Trail front-to-back (511 miles total), I passed a jogger on the trail near Augusta, MO.
Katy Trail 

He had stopped jogging in the middle of the trail, and was looking at his cell phone with a very worried expression. He flagged me down, and I stopped to talk to him. He told me, "I just heard someone yelling 'HELP! HELP!' - Do you think I should call 911? I think someone ran off the trail, and they're laying down there near the river!"

First and foremost, I was surprised that he could get a cell phone signal out there. There are many places along this trail that have little or no cell phone reception. Secondly, I quickly calmed him, and told him NOT to call 911! I told him, "Look through those trees.", and I pointed through the trees that lined the trail, and into a fenced in farm yard. There was a large, albino peacock with his tail raised. He was doing the familiar loud, "Help! Help!" call, and this man thought someone had accidentally bicycled off the trail!

This is the call I'm talking about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWTABEOFYoY

- Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment