Pages

Monday, December 30, 2013

Don't Let It End This Way... (sing in the style of Styx!)



Honest Injun.... (Sorry, I was born in Hannibal, MO - all those Mark Twain references, ya know! )

For several reasons, I don't have a single unfinished knitting project in my house, but I do have 4 of the largest Rubbermaid storage tubes (on wheels) that are full of my yarn stash.

One of the reasons is that I believe, in Martha Stewart-fashion, "If I spent money on it, I'm going to use it!"

Reason #2 is that I went to an estate sale 2 years ago. It was a 2 story home, and 5 of the 6 rooms that were on the second floor of this house were dedicated to the now-deceased home owner.

If I'm lyin', I'm dyin' - send my soul straight to Hell!

I did look into this woman's closets (in an estate sale, EVERYTHING is for sale, including everything in drawers, cabinets, closets, etc.

I noticed in her closet(s) that there were, indeed, several finished knitted items, including some spectacular sweaters.

HOWEVER.... 5 of the 6 rooms on this floor were filled with large display-type tables that were each loaded with hundreds of Ziploc baggies, laying on the table fallen domino-style for the sake of cramming as many baggies on each table as possible. Each of these baggies had all the yarn needed to complete a particular project. The instructions (magazine clippings, etc), needles and even a knitted swatch were in every bag with the correct yarn for the project. In *most* of the baggies, this woman had a large portion of an arm of a sweater completed, for example, and nothing more finished on the project.

Even though I couldn't take all the yarn with me (but I wanted to!), I did manage to buy several hundred dollars worth of fine, expensive yarns that are now out of production - for $35 for the entire lot that I bought. The stuff that I bought didn't put even the tiniest dent in the overall size of this woman's stash - and unfinished garments!

I just know in my heart - 2 sizes too small! - that that poor woman's husband wanted desperately to shoot her in the head, if for no better reason to put her out of both their miseries!

I'm glad that she didn't finish 1% of the projects that she started - because I reaped the benefits, but that woman must have been suffering from some type of internal turmoil! he he

- Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment