Pages

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Will The Real Judge Please Stand up? (I think he just did!)



My good sister, Karma, does seem to have my back again.    See!  I told you that the Buddhist Monk that is hiding inside me would one day come bubbling to the surface!


Are the following events pure coincidence, or is there more to the store than meets the ear?  You tell me:


The church that I was raised in from 1979 until I got the Hell out of there was a Pentecostal church at 16th & Locust in Quincy, IL.  The pastor that founded this church, Charles Mitchell, was never my biggest 'fan', and the man that took over the church after Mitchell left, Mark Fogarty was DEFINITELY not in my court, if you know what I mean.


At any rate, after Mark Fogarty basically robbed this congregation, as  is his modus operandi, he moved on from this church to another somewhere in Georgia.


Another pastor came along to Calvary Tabernacle (16th & Locust), and eventually moved the church downtown Quincy.


The irony of it all?  The church building at 16th & Locust became the home for the Church of the Holy Spirit - a gay congregation.  Not so many years ago (the details are below), 'Pastor' Fogarty tried to tell me that I was 'living wrong', and that I was basically going to burn in Hell.  My favorite sister, Karma, has made the entire thing come around full circle.


1) I played piano / organ for Calvary Tabernacle when I was in my early - mid teens.
2) I played piano for MCC (Metropolitan Church of Christ - a gay congregation) when the church was at 24 North 5th Street, Quincy, IL
3) Now, the same building - 16th & Locust - what was used to scorn and condemn me is now a place of respite and shelter for me - the Church of the Holy Spirit.


Pastor Fogarty:  Ya really gotta be careful when you play God.  I know it is difficult to imagine, but there are powers greater than your own, and they can and will be used against you!


The details:


I will never forget that little meeting that Mark Fogarty called when he found out that I am gay.  He started 'throwing the book' at me, and I hurled it back at him.  When he realized that he was not gaining any ground, he tried to squelch me by saying, "Oh, Son!  Don't judge God's wisdom!"  I said, "Sir, I think you are a little confused.  I am a mere 7 yrs younger than you.  I am not your son.  And.... I'm not judging GOD's wisdom.  I'm judging YOURS.  And you're only a man.  And barely that."


Both of my parents were at this meeting, as was Diane, both Diane's parents, both my parents, and Mark Fogarty's wife (the poor, beat down thing!)  In all, there were 8 people at this little meeting, and the agenda was to discuss my sexuality.


After I politely said (with a smile, of course!), "You're only a man, and barely that!"  He said, "Meeting's ajourned!"  He stood up, and I rose out of my chair to shake his hand.  He closed Good Book, and I went to the door. I turned and said, "Call me when we can do this again some time.  I'll be looking forward to your call!"  That was the last time I ever saw that man.


From what I understand, he has been busy since that meeting:
http://www.spiritualabuse.org/experiences/lawsuits/mark_fogarty.html

I have always had a guiding hand on my shoulder.  When I first laid eyes on that man, I told my mother, "There is something about that man that I don't like.  Look just beneath the skin, and you will know what I'm talking about."  Of course, I was once again squelched.  After he left that church in a much bigger hock than he found them (which included selling the church's organ and piano to buy himself a Hammond B3 and a digital keyboard, which he took with them), he left town, and left them in a mess.


The moral of this story:
A man (woman and child) is just that. A human being. Human beings are capable of doing anything they set their minds to.  A title that had been bestowed on them (or one that they have bestowed upon themselves!) doesn't mean squat to me.  In my humble opinion, a person is judged by his / her actions, and not a title, if you know what I mean.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment