Pages

Sunday, July 15, 2012

This guy was told by his homeowners association that he couldn't fly the american flag.....

I'm sure you've seen this circulating the internet:



While I am strongly opposed to HOA's, I have to say:

C'mon, people!  Take the time and energy to use your own head, instead of random crap that gushes forth from the internet all too frequently!

This is the best response for the situation:


I’m not buying it. Sure, I believe someone really painted their house to look like an American flag, I just don’t believe they did it in protest towards their homeowners association.
For one thing, the home appears to be quite old. Homeowners associations exist almost exclusively in newer, planned neighborhoods. It wouldn’t surprise me if the home in the photo is one-hundred years old. I imagine getting people who live in older homes to retroactively join a homeowners association would be a lot like herding cats.
Secondly, it’s illegal for a homeowners association to bar someone from displaying the American flag. The federal Freedom to Display the American Flag Act of 2005, makes it illegal for a homeowners association to restrict homeowners from displaying the American flag on their property.
It’s literally a federal offense for a homeowners association to restrict flying the American flag.
Lastly, homeowners associations generally always have restrictions on what color or colors you can paint your house. If they have one rule, it’s that. The idea that a homeowners association would forbid someone from flying the American flag, but allow someone to paint their home like a flag, is absurd. It was made-up by someone who has never lived in a neighborhood governed by a homeowners association.
I see something like this on Facebook and wonder how anyone could believe it.
The moral of this saga:
Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see.

:::Jumping off my huge soap box:::::

- Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment