Pages

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Comparing Apples to Motorcycles



That is one of several reasons why I don't watch shows like The X-Factor and American Idol, anymore. The last couple seasons of each show that I DID watch, I would record TV via the cable attached to my computer, and I would immediately fast-forward through any and all judges comments and commercials. It is amazing how fast you can watch an hour show (less than 15 minutes), when you cut out all the crap.
When I worked in a large office, after every American Idol show, etc, I would overhear people in the cubicles adjacent to mine talking about last night's show. As God is my witness, I heard them repeat, verbatim, every word the judges said, and these coworkers were repeating the judge's comments as if they were the original ideas and thoughts of each coworker.

After the coworker's comments were made, without fail, I would peak over the cube's wall,  and say to each coworker: "Now that you have repeated the judge's comments, what are your OWN thoughts about the show? And I want you to tell me your own thoughts without using the judge's words." Mouths flew open, and the office grew quiet. The sad part of that story is that we would go through this little routine EVERY WEEK.

Even though I go to every large outdoor (and indoor!) Art Fair and Show in the ST. Louis area, I strongly disagree with judging art - or food or music.  "One man's junk is another man's treasure" applies.

You can't judge a singer like Tina Turner against Sarah Brightman.  These ladies are in 2 different categories, and comparing their music is like comparing apples to motorcycles.  It can't be done.

Judging music (or art or food - or children!) is like dancing to architecture. It can't be done.


I like "this AND that", rather than "this OR that".

TV Host Andrew Zimmern from Bizarre Foods visited the Minnesota State Fair.  A champion baker, winning over 2,500 ribbons including over 1,000 Blue Ribbons met Andrew at the Fair.  When she met him, she said, "Oh, I know who you are!  you're the guy that eats all that 'weird stuff'."  Andrew didn't miss a beat when he lovingly put his arm around her shoulders, and said with a smile:

"No, it's just that my idea of 'Good' is a bit more expansive than most people's (idea of 'Good')."

After his comment, Marjorie recoiled a bit, put her hand to her mouth, and she mumbled, "Oh, I see!"  I think she finally 'got it'.

Translated:  Even though she is a renowned championship baker,  Andrew was telling Marjorie that he really didn't care to join her in her self-imposed, constricted limitations.

Folk should tread lightly when considering judging ANYTHING.

Another quick example:  Indian (food) restaurants.

There are probably 8 Indian restaurants that we frequent on a regular basis.  Each restaurant varies in the foods offered, the number of items on the buffets, the general atmosphere, and their locations.  I like Mayuri (near Olive Blvd. & I-270) because they have a large buffet and they are authentic in their flavors.  I also like Rasoi, in the Central West End.  The items offered are good, and I know the staff very well.  Haveli on Page is a darker atmosphere  with a good buffet.  We know the owner of this restaurant on a personal level, and we always have a friendly chat with her. Mark likes to compare these restaurants.  Even though I do have a favorite, I find it impossible to truly compare them.

It is an inherent part of my existence.  I don't compare children, food, art, music - or much of anything else.

To compare one subject against another will only serve to loose the individual qualities of both.

(The TV networks WANT you to compare singers, etc, for this very reason.  Replace "News Media" with "Reality TV"):


- Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment