Pages

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

It's not HAPPY HOLIDAYS - it's MERRY CHRISTMAS!





Enlightenment is a "good thing".  Enlightenment keeps me from turning into people that I choose not to discuss in an open forum - if you know what I mean.


Before we continue, let's go ahead and debunk that "It's Merry Christmas, not Merry Xmas!" thing.

There is a common misconception that the word Xmas stems from a secular attempt to remove the religious tradition from Christmas by taking the "Christ" out of "Christmas", but its use dates back to the 16th century.

Xmas is nothing more a common abbreviation of the word Christmas . The "-mas" part is from the Latin-derived Old English word for Mass, while the "X" comes from the Greek letter Chi, which is the first letter of the Greek word Χριστός which comes into English as "Christ".  It is nothing more - and nothing less than a simple abbreviation for "Christmas".


While we have this thing splayed open on the operating table, let's go ahead and poke around the actual religion aspect of the issue.

Please understand that there are a LOT of completely different religions that ALL believe in the same GOD (I didn't say "Christ" - I said "God") as Christians believe in.  Some folk would gasp upon discovering that Hindus, Muslims, and many other religions ALSO believe in God, albeit, they also believe in different messengers (not entirely different from Catholics that pray to St. Mary, etc.)
Most religions believe in the same God, even though the 'messengers' might be a 'little' different!  That, however, is a discussion for a different day. 


Consider these facts:
32% of the world's population is Christian.  Christmas - the day Christ was born - December 25 - is actually centered around the winter solstice.  (An important date for Pagans.)

This leaves 78% percent of the world that is NOT Christian.  78% is well over the majority of the world's population that is NOT Christian,  thus "Christmas" - and Easter - means nothing at all to them, and rightfully so.  Both Hinduism and Buddhism are many thousands of years older than Christianity. Now you must understand that one person's religion is no more - or less - valid than the person standing next to him on the planet. 

(Incidentally, Christians killed approximately 200,000 people during the Crusades.  Go ahead on and look up the number of people that Hindus and Buddhists have killed.  First, remove ALL denial filters, then look at those numbers again.  You will find that they are grossly tilted in the direction of the Christian being the 'killingest', to coin a phrase.)

In my humble opinion, "Happy Holidays", to CHRISTIAN people living in USA and Canada, indicates a greeting for Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Day

The only countries in the *world* that celebrate Thanksgiving is the USA and Canada.  While we're discussing the USA and Canada, their combined populations are 4.49% of the worlds population.

In summary:
1) "Merry Christmas" pertains to only 32% o the world's population.
2) "Happy Thanksgiving" pertains to only 4.49% of the world's population.
3) There are *32* different calendar systems that are used in the world, and most of those "New Years Days" occur on different days of their particular calendars.

Pertaining to the fact that Americans think the rest of the world should revolve around their own beliefs (when, in fact, they make up only 4.46% of it's population - and the remainder of that population - 95.54% - do not share the same beliefs), well famed travel expert Rick Steves said it best:

"“I would like travelers, especially American travelers, to travel in a way that broadens their perspective, because I think Americans tend to be some of the most ethnocentric people on the planet. It's not just Americans, it's the big countries. It's the biggest countries that tend to be ethnocentric or ugly. There are ugly Russians, ugly Germans, ugly Japanese and ugly Americans. You don't find ugly Belgians or ugly Bulgarians, they're just too small to think the world is their norm.”
 

― Rick Steves

↑↑↑↑↑↑ - Apply as necessary to the current topic of discussion.

An example on how to effectively realize that there are other people on this planet:

I tell my Jewish friends, "Happy Chanukah" (starting on Thursday, November 28 in 2013).

No, Chanukah is not a "Jewish Christmas" (can you believe that I have heard people say that many times?) THERE IS NO JEWISH CHRISTMAS!

BTW, I've heard it from a good source that I am the only goy that says "Chanukah" correctly!

My Jewish friends tell ME "Merry Christmas", but that confuses them because, much like Tina Turner considers herself a "Baptist-Buddhist", I consider myself a Pagan Pentecostal Buddhist Hindu!

I tell my Hindu friend, Prathiba Vasudevan "Happy Holi" (The Hindu Festival of Colors), and I greet her according to the Hindu Holidays that I am familiar with. Even though she knows my spiritual beliefs vary WIDELY, even though she is Hindu, she will tell me, "Merry Christmas, Happy Thanksgiving or Happy New Year", basically because she knows I am an American, and I get the 'catch-all' holidays thrown at me.

Living in a larger city, and being keenly aware of the people that share that big city with me, I learned to address them as individuals with individual needs, rather than lumping them into a lazy, catch-all ethnocentric group.

(Replace "I" with "You" in that last paragraph. If I say YOU, people think I am screaming at them. They would be correct, because I really am screaming at them. If I say "Me / I" in that last paragraph, readers will ignore it because they don't think it pertains to them. Do you see my conundrum?

- Michael


No comments:

Post a Comment