Pages

Monday, December 10, 2012

Which "Lifestyle" would you like today, Door A, or Door B?



Giving first the benefit of the doubt (and giving hidden bigotry enough rope to hang itself), I will initially say that - even though I clearly know better - I would like to believe that the original intent of that post is to do GOOD.

HOWEVER...in my 44 years on this planet, I am one of the rare birds that never, ever saw "The Emperor's New Clothes".  That fat man parading through the streets has been naked since the day of my birth.

That post is definitely in the Emperor's closet of...uh... NO CLOTHES!

Translated:

On the surface, that post appears to have good intent.
If you will peek only slightly beneath it's bubbly surface, you will see that the intent of that post is not at all good.

My mentor, Dr. Phil says, paraphrasing Saint Bernard of Clairvaux:
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."

While I am certain that that statement might also apply to other minority groups, I will gladly take on the role of 'The Gay Spokesperson', because that post almost always refers to gay people.

Because I was born (and lived!) as a gay, handicapped child with a much-less-than-ideal family situation, fighting my way through life has long since become second-nature to me (That is one reason why a gay male couple won last night on this season's "Amazing Race", and there have been a couple more gay couples to win "Amazing Race".)

 Fighting and struggling are second nature to us, and count my physical disabilities, struggling is, indeed, second-nature for me.

I have the brute force required for my ass to cash checks that my mouth writes.  With that being said, I will start by saying, " I'm loving the "lifestyle" thing."  

ALWAYS spoken as if the core of our very existence is a 'style', which is a choice, and used in the same context as the word 'fashion' is used when speaking about 'style', etc. 

You all will have to trust me when I tell you that not a single gay person on the planet CHOOSES to be discriminated against, no more than when black people OR women chose discrimination at specific times in their respective histories.  Being black, being a woman or being gay - it's all genetic.  I believe that those three groups did not CHOSE to be who they are, nor do I believe any of them should see the need to make excuses or to be apologetic for who they are - NOR do I believe that they should have to FIGHT for rights linked to genetics.

BTW - the last time somebody 'disagreed' with women's right to vote (as just one of many examples), even though I swear I wasn't alive at that time, I can guarantee you when half of the USA's population at the time (WOMEN!) did, indeed, get their panties in a wad.    

If anybody needs the subject further broken down, I am adequately prepared to do that for you, as well.

(A  hint for the wise:  

My next point starts out, "I didn't get a chance to vote on YOUR marriage or YOUR rights, so why the Hell should you be voting on MINE?"  

Answer:  Don't be pompous or arrogant enough to think that you SHOULD have the right or the authority to judge my very existence enough to vote on my marriage, my rights to insurance, etc, etc.  )

- Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment