Pages

Monday, December 10, 2012

Amateur Perfumery and Accidental Polo.....




On a particularly adventuresome day (most of my days are!), I put 1/2 cup of water in a glass measuring cup. I added just two drops of patchouli oil (please tell me, dear reader, that you are familiar with Patchouli!), 3 whole cloves, a couple small sprigs of thyme, a couple small sprigs of Artemisia, a dash of cumin, a couple leaves of basil, a few cilantro seed pods (coriander!), a few marjoram sprigs and just a couple rosemary needles.

I wear Patchouli oil, straight and as-is, on a daily basis.

I put the measuring cup in the microwave for about 30 seconds, just to 'get it brewing a bit', and to allow these natural ingredients to release their oils.

After a few seconds, I caught a familiar whiff wafting through the kitchen.

I Googled 'Patchouli, Cloves', and my search returned:




Polo by Ralph Lauren:

Top Notes
Pine , Lavender, Juniper, Artemisia, Bergamot, Cumin, Basil, Green Notes

Middle Notes
Coriander, Marjoram, Jasmine, Carnation, Geranium, Thyme, Rose

Base Notes
Oakmoss, Patchouli, Leather, Cedar, Amber, Musk, Frankincense

To paraphrase a popular Carrie Underwood song, "I unknowingly made $3 worth of bathroom Polo!"

Not only did I accidentally nail some of the very specific ingredients in Polo, but the rosemary could easily substitute for cedar or Juniper.

For the next month, whenever I microwaved my lunch, I smelled Polo throughout my home. I poured my 'new' concoction in a shallow Petri-type dish, and allowed all the water to evaporate naturally. I placed this dish under the seat of my truck, and I use it as an auto freshener. On particularly warm summer days, when I step out of my truck, I smell either like the last surviving Hippie, or like I stepped off the set of a 1980's movie!

- Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment